Report a crime

If someone's life is in danger or a crime is taking place, phone 999.

Reporting a non-emergency incident

101 – the new non-emergency number

If you are the victim or have witnessed any non-emergency incident in the Northumbria Police area, you can ring 101 or use the internet.

The non-emergency system can be used to report details of the following offences:

•  Shed and garage burglaries

•  Theft

•  Criminal damage

•  Making off without payment

•  Theft from or damage to vehicles

•  You can complete the online notification process here

When calling 101, the system will determine your location and play a recorded message announcing the police force they’re being connected to. A choice of forces will be given if you are on the boundary between two or more forces.

Calls to 101 cost 15p per call, no matter what time of day it is, or how long the call lasts. This means everyone calling the police knows exactly how much a call will cost them, whether they’re calling from a landline or a mobile phone.
A computer keyboard

Remember 101 is the number to call your local police - when it's less urgent than 999.